Communications and Development Associate
At Grades of Green, we are developing the next generation of environmental leaders. We are looking for a creative, dynamic, collaborative, and multi-faceted marketing and development professional, who is passionate about the health of our planet, to create, execute and implement marketing and development plans that align with and promote our vision and mission.
About Grades of Green
Grades of Green is changing the course of the future by making environmental protection second-nature in young minds. We mentor young people and provide them with the leadership skills, resources and connections they need to solve today’s environmental challenges. We are mobilizing an entire generation to tackle local challenges that lead to global impact. Grades of Green began in 2009 at one school in Southern California. Since then, it has grown to inspire and empower more than half a million students across 47 states and 27 counties, to take-action and care for our environment.
The Marketing and Development Manager will put their skills and passions into action to create long-lasting environmental impacts and inspire and engage the next generation of Eco-Leaders. They will proactively and imaginatively develop and advance Grades of Green’s marketing, and development initiatives. They will be responsible for collaborating on the design and execution of the annual marketing and development plans including a broad range of tactics including marketing, donor relationships, media relations, events, fundraising, community engagement and content creation strategies across multiple, print, digital and social media channels.
This position reports to the Executive Director, works closely with the Program Director and manages a Communications and Development associate, contractors, and interns.
- Collaborate on the design and execution of marketing plans centered on our organization’s program and funding short-term and long-term objectives and goals
- Create, update and edit internal and external messaging, pitch decks, branding, and templates
- Manage website, website strategy and website contractors and/or team members
- Develop and oversee social media strategy across multiple platforms
- Manage Communications production and content schedule
- Manage Communications and Development Associate to create & post compelling original content across all brand channels
- Provide meaningful monthly reporting on marketing and communications including Data analytics, SEO (search engine optimization), fundraising and generation of inbound traffic
- Oversee and engage in design and writing of grants, annual report, campaign reports, press releases, blog and web/social media content, pitch decks, event scripts, talking points, etc.
- Develop and execute media and public relations strategies to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted external audiences
- Celebrate student and school stories by pitching to and creating relationships with local, national and global news outlets
- Maintain an active story and collateral bank to capture, curate, and organize content to support marketing and fundraising needs
- Design and create program and campaign materials with Program Director
- Collaborate to develop marketing and fundraising strategies for fundraising events (including our annual gala, Verte), funders and partnerships
- Oversee the development and distribution of donor outreach collateral, including fundraising appeals, newsletters, e-updates and other materials
- Spearhead content development for collateral (e.g., fact sheets, brochures, reports) and manage copy-editing and proofing for all projects
- Strategize, conceptualize, write and submit grant LOIs and proposals as directed.
- Ensure required funding reports are prepared accurately and timely
- Lead efforts to support and launch special initiatives; works to expand portfolio of foundation and corporate partners to sustain such projects
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with foundation and corporate program officers, promoting ongoing stewardship through communications and the distribution of publications such as the annual report, newsletters and event invitations
- Maintain internal systems for prospect management, grants, research, writing, data collection, and calendars
- Manage staff’s data entry for donors, foundations and corporations in Salesforce
- Proactively identify new and high-level corporate and foundation prospects through electronic alerts, analysis, screening information, data mining techniques, push technology, demographic searches, etc
- Produce a quarterly report, forecasting the next quarter with a list of new prospects.
- Maintain and analyze prospective and upgraded donor data and develop current and prospective prospect list
- Prepare organizations profiles, as needed, for meetings and outreach with prospective funders and Board of Directors
- Create and execute strategy to increase sponsorships and attendance at annual gala
- Foster effective relationships with individual donors through regular email, phone calls and face to face meetings
- 5 years of non-profit marketing and development experience. Current years and established contacts in Southern California a plus
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s in Marketing or Business a plus
- Proven track record for successful fundraising campaigns and grant acquisitions
- Exceptional writer and editor with the ability to master writing to different audiences
- Exceptional project management skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong operating knowledge in utilizing Microsoft Office, Google products, CRM’s and experience with graphic design programs such as Adobe Suite products and Canva. Video production experience a plus
- Experience with digital campaigns and ads across platforms, content creation across platforms, and data analysis
- Strong organizational abilities in planning, project development and task facilitation
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Relational savvy and passion for building relationships
- Self-starter, detail-oriented, team player and excellent communication skills
- Ability to multitask, work fast, quickly change priorities, and meet deadlines
- Strong sense of ownership and entrepreneurial spirit; scrappy and proactive, always looking for ways to take initiative and improve existing programs / processes
- Keen eye for visual design
- Passionate about the health of our planet
We Got Your Back
- Salary: $65,000-$75,000 (DOE)
- Health benefits and 401K
- Generous number of paid holidays and vacation days
- Fridays – work from home option
- Grades of Green is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees
- Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume by February 5th to: email@example.com We will respond to all resumes with a cover letter