The LA Kings, AEG and Blue Shield of California and Grades of Green are teaming up to send litter to the penalty box for Earth Week! From April 22nd to the 25th, compete against your colleagues to see who can clean up the most litter and you could win big!
What’s the Deal with Litter?
When trash misses its shot and isn’t properly disposed of, it makes its way into the oceans, rivers and natural areas where we play and animals live. When this debris enters nature, it can release harmful chemical pollutants and hurt animals on land and in the water. Plastic litter often breaks down tiny pieces called microplastics that enter our food system – and eventually even our bodies! A recent study found that we may ingest up to a credit card’s worth of plastic each week! In fact, it is estimated that by 2050, there will be more trash in the ocean than fish!
What You Can Do About It
LA Kings, AEG and Blue Shield of California are challenging their employees and families to clean up litter on April 22, Earth Day!
How to Participate
From April 22nd to the 25th, choose a location in your community that you would like to clean up litter. Beaches and parks are always great spots.
Download the Litterati App on your mobile device and use it to track the litter you pick up using your challenge code listed below. Note: The App may function better with your phone’s wifi turned off.
- LA Kings and AEG members: 101376
- Blue Shield of California members: 927362
Pick up litter! Check back to this page, as your progress will be posted on our leaderboard throughout Earth Week!
Prizes will be awarded to the volunteers that pick up the most trash in each leaderboard:
- 1st place – $50 gift card
- 2nd place – $30 gift card
- 3rd place – $20 gift card
Steps to Use Litterati
- Download the Litterati App.
- Click on “I’m New” and agree to the terms.
- Share your device’s location.
- Input the correct code for your group. Note: The App may function better with your phone’s wifi turned off.
- Make sure your name shows up on the leaderboard: Go to the top of the App, swipe left to “Profile,” click “Claim Your Account” and fill out your info.
- Now you’re ready to pick up litter! Tap the camera icon to begin taking pictures of the litter that you find. Multiple pieces of litter can be included in the same picture. Remember to properly dispose of the litter!
- At any point while taking pictures, you can tap the upload button to upload your pictures to record your impact.
Rather Not Use the App? Not in LA?
No problem! If you’re not in Los Angeles or would rather not use the app, you can still participate: Click here to tell us how many pieces you picked up or print and submit this form.
Have Questions or Need Help with the App?
- Here’s a great guide on how to use the Literati App and here are a few super helpful tutorial videos.
- App loading slowly? Try turning off your phone’s wifi.
- Still stumped?
- You can participate without using the app! Click here to tell us how many pieces you picked up or print and submit this form.
- Send us an email and we’ll get back to you.
- Kelly Cotreau – 200 Pieces
- Bing Z – 49 Pieces
- Amanda Apel – 3 Pieces
CHECK Out More Information About How Waste and Single-Use Plastic Harms Our Environment
Explore the videos and links below to help you learn even more about our waste system and how your clean up helps our planet!
The Climate Cost of Fashion
Wasteland: Why Recycling Isn’t The Answer To Our Trash Problem
Environmental Justice and Waste
What is Environmental Justice?
How Uniontown, Alabama, Became Victim of Environmental Injustice
Environmental Justice – Opposing a Toxic Waste Landfill
The Story of Plastic: How Plastic Production Pollutes Small Towns
Articles for More Info
- Climate Change and Waste
- Dirty Recycling Systems are Trashing Communities of Color
- More Plastic Is On the Way: What It Means for Climate Change
- How plastics contribute to climate change
- Recycling Isn’t working-here’s why
- How Our Trash Impacts the Environment
Blue Shield of California is an independent member of the Blue Shield Association.