Know a child who can’t wait until the trash truck comes?
Take action during earth week and win a visit from an LASAN collection vehicle for your next party!
Grades of Green is partnering with LA Sanitation & Environment (LASAN) to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Earth Day by challenging Los Angeles families to reduce their impact on the environment by improving their waste footprint!
Tackle three (3) tasks in a row on your bingo card, share them on social media, and you could win the opportunity to amaze the guests at your child’s next birthday party or event with a visit from an LASAN collection truck!
As long as your party takes place within the boundaries of the City of Los Angeles and hosts no more than 20 guests, LASAN will send along one of their amazing collection vehicles and staff to wow your guests!
This is a perfect opportunity for the little ones who love to see the truck come by each week to pick up waste and recyclables. Guests will be able to see the truck up-close, operate the controls, and learn all about the vehicle from an LASAN Refuse Collection Truck Operator!
Challenge Period: April 22, 2020, at 10:00 am PDT through May 7, 2020, at 5:00 pm PDT.
Participating is Easy – It’s Bingo!
1. Take Action:
Work with your family to complete a 3-in-a-row line of the simple eco-friendly actions outlined on the #LASANbingo card below and take photos of each challenge as you complete it in your home.
2. Fill Out Your Bingo Card:
Download one of the bingo cards below and cross out the tasks you completed.
3. Share Your Actions:
Post your completed card and photos of your projects on social media* using the hashtag #LASANbingo. Make sure to tag @gradesofgreen and @lacitysan, too.
4. Enter to Win
Fill out the form below and you will be entered to win! Note: if your account is private, we will not be able to see your submission – so make sure you fill out the form!
*If you are unable to share via social media, please send us an email with your photos and marked #LASANBingo card along with your name, address, and phone to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will also need to complete the form found below.
Get Your Bingo Card
Download a Square Bingo Card for Instagram or Facebook
Download a Horizontal Bingo Card for Twitter or Facebook
(Right-click the image and choose “Save as”)
Learn more about these fun Eco-Friendly Activities
Pick Up Free LASAN Mulch for Your Yard or Garden
LASAN offers free mulch and compost at ten self-serve locations around the City of Los Angeles. It’s made from the green waste collected weekly from homes.
Create a Poster to Thank Your Collection Worker
Using recycled materials you find in your home, create a thank you poster for your Collection Driver and place it outside where he/she can see it when collecting your trash, green waste, and recyclables.
Decorate a Box to Store Used Batteries & Other Household Hazardous Waste
Did you know that used batteries, paint, lightbulbs, cleaning products, and other similar household materials are harmful to the environment? They should never be placed in the trash because they could release chemicals into the soil and our groundwater. Using recycled materials in your home, decorate a box to hold this waste until your parents can take it to a SAFE Center.
Start a Grease Jar to Keep Oil and Fat Out of the Drain
Fats, oils, and grease (FOG) can be very harmful to your pipes and to the entire sewer system! Find an empty jar with a tight lid, mark it FOG, and place it under your sink so that your parents can pour grease into the jar when they’re done cooking. If you keep the lid on tightly, it should not smell bad. When it’s full, place the jar in the trash for collection and start a new jar.
Put a Recycle Bin in the Bathroom
Most of us are good at recycling in the kitchen and the classroom. But do you recycle in your bathroom? Place a recycling bin in your bathrooms to capture toilet paper rolls, empty shampoo bottles, and more.
Turn Leftovers into a New Meal
Did you know 30-40% of all food in the United States gets thrown away, uneaten? Challenge your family to repurpose those leftovers into a delicious new meal. Leftover pasta could go into a soup, leftover meat could make a nice casserole, and leftover veggies could enhance a salad. Get creative! If you need help, visit savethefood.com.
Download the Clean Water Patrol Activity Book
Do you know where water goes when it rains? Do you know what a City forest is? Search LASAN’s website for “classroom materials” and download the Clean Water Patrol Activity Book. You’ll enjoy completing the maze, coloring, and drawing as you learn more about water.
Start a Victory Garden Inside or Out
Victory gardens are making a comeback! Gardening can be a satisfying and relaxing hobby for both kids and adults. It may also help alleviate fears of food scarcity, or trip to the store. Create a small victory garden in your yard, inside or on your windowsill by planting herbs and/or vegetables that you can use in your kitchen.
Make Vegetable Stock from Veggie Scraps
When you chop the tops off of carrots and onions, you don’t have to throw them away. Paired with other vegetable scraps like potato peels, pepper seeds, cabbage leaves, tomato pieces, and more, they can make a delicious soup stock to be frozen and used later.
Enter to Win
Challenge Period: April 22, 2020 at 10:00 am PDT through May 7, 2020 at 5:00 pm PDT Have fun with your child and think green – you may have an opportunity to score an LA Sanitation & Environment collection truck at your next private event! In honor of the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, we’re challenging you to work with your child to engage in fun eco-friendly actions that are easy to do at home! Whatever the project, it’s a fun way to get the kids thinking creatively about reducing the amount of waste we send to the landfill. All eligible participants who submit a qualifying post to the hashtag #LASANBingo, tag @lacitysan & @gradesofgreen, and follow the required directives below will be entered into a drawing to have an LASAN collection truck at their private event! Find more information on how to share your project via the following link gradesofgreen.org/LASANbingochallenge/.
Items required in your social media post (“Post”): 1. Include the hashtag #LASANbingo 2. Include or tag the LA Sanitation & Environment account on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter @lacitysan 3. Include or tag the Grades of Green account on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter @gradesofgreen 4. Post must include photos of all three completed challenges as well as the crossed off Bingo card showing 3 in a row completed.
Process to notify qualifying participants:
1. Each potential Winner will complete the form found on https://gradesofgreen.org/lasanbingo 2. Each potential Winner will be asked to complete an Affidavit provided by Sponsor with their name, phone, mailing address and email. 3. LA Sanitation & Environment will contact Winners by email or social media on or after May 1, 2020 to notify them of their selection.
To qualify as a Post, the photo and content:
• must be entirely the original work of the entrant;
• must not have been submitted previously in a promotion of any kind and has not been exhibited or distributed previously in any media;
• must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, including copyright infringement, or legal or moral rights of any third party, living or deceased (e.g., names, logos, symbols, slogans, photographs that belong to others, photographs of other people, quotes from other people, or parodies of other people);
• must not disparage Sponsor or Grades of Green or any other third party (e.g., any person, product, location, retailer, company or brand);
• must not in any way contain any names, logos, symbols, slogans, parodies or trademarks of any brand other than those of Sponsor;
• must not include personally-identifiable information;
• must not contain material or shows activity that is inappropriate, indecent, lewd, pornographic, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous, or features gratuitous violence, dangerous stunts, real weapons of any kind, drug use, use of marijuana (even legal use); or otherwise inconsistent with the goal of the promotion to promote the environment , or Sponsor’s goodwill and brand image;
• must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
• must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of, or contrary to any laws or regulations; and
• must have been legally created (i.e., does not violate any laws or regulations in the making of the photo).
Each Winner releases Sponsor, Grades of Green, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and their respective agents from all claims and damages associated with the use of the Prize. Subject to all federal, state and local laws. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.