What is the Agriculture Industry?
The agriculture industry produces food or crops for consumption. This industry also includes raising animals for consumption and horticulture or gardening.
Agricultural Industry Examples:
- Farms, ranches, dairies, greenhouses, nurseries, orchards, and hatcheries
- Responsible for 25% of all UA grain exports.
- Brands include Truvia, Diamond Crystal Salt, Purina pet food, and Cargill Cotton to name a few
- ADM Agriculture
- Produces corn, oilseeds, wheat, and cocoa
Agriculture’s Environmental Impact
Everyone needs to eat. However, current industrial agriculture has a vastly negative impact on the environment. It creates massive habitat loss for monoculture, desertification, water pollution, soil erosion, toxicity from pesticides, and biodiversity loss.
How Does Agriculture Affect Environmental Justice?
While industry level food production–animal factories and agricultural land–provide nutrition to a majority of individuals across the world, large scale pollution frequently serves as a consequence to populations living in close proximity. These surrounding groups often include low income communities, which suffer from resource limitations in addition to various health issues as a result of the overconsumption of food by the general public.
What Can You Do to Support the Environment?
- Agriculture can be sustainable but does have pros and cons
- Nature-based solutions for Agriculture
- Farming in the age of climate change! There are so many brilliant technological advances for the future of farming.
- Become informed. There are some awesome documentaries to become more aware:
Return to Path 1
Move Forward to Path 2
Looking for Another Page? Head over to the Campaign’s Table of Contents.