How will you celebrate Earth Month? One way to go green is to make sure you use eco-friendly products in your daily life. Fjallraven, a Swedish-based company that specializes in creating outdoor gear, created the Re-Kanken backpack which is made entirely from polyester created from plastic bottles!
Last week, Grades of Green’s New York Team kicked of Earth Month with Fjallraven at their Soho location. Together, we taught people other simple ways they can go green for Earth Month. Check out the tips below:
1. Even if turned off, appliances that are still plugged into an outlet will continue to consume energy. Make sure to unplug appliances when not in use to save energy and money!
2. Hydration stations are a great way to get fresh, clean water while also reducing the amount of plastic water bottles used.
3. You can reduce your exposure to toxins by taking your shoes off before entering your home and by making your own green cleaning supplies. Homes of shoe-wearers contain an average of 10 times more dust than homes where families don’t wear shoes indoors!
4. You can reduce air pollution and save money by not idling – make sure to turn your car off if you won’t be moving. Just 30 seconds of idling can use more fuel than turning off the engine and restarting.
5. You can help prevent deforestation and water and air pollution by having a meatless meal. If you ate just one less burger a week for a year, it would be the equivalent of taking your car off the road for 320 miles!