We hope you have all been enjoying summer 2017, soaking up the sun, and relaxing from the last year. As the summer begins to wind down, we want to share some of our top green tips on preparing for the upcoming school year.
1. Remember to purchase non-toxic school supplies from your teacher’s school supplies list. As your teacher’s supplies list arrives, think about which supplies you can substitute for eco-friendly options. Check out the Ultimate Green Store for ideas on eco-friendly options.
2. Get your trash free lunch materials ready for this year. Gather your reusable utensils, cloth napkins, reusable water bottles, and reusable containers for all your school lunches this year. Also, think about going green with the food you are packing in your school lunches. Aim to pack fresh produce from local sources in your lunch bag to reduce your carbon footprint.
3. Pack your emergency supply kits now (if your school request you to do so). Make sure to green them up by using eco-friendly products. Check out More Prepared for great emergency supply kit ideas.
4. Think about what clothing you will wear next year. Do you need new clothes? Consider a thrift or second hand store for great items. Or, consider sustainable clothing options.
5. How are you going to travel to school this year? Are there opportunities to bike to school? Do you live close enough to walk home from school? Preparing your transportation options now will allow you to answer these questions.
6. Look at all the items you have left over from last school year. Can you reuse any of them this year? If so, make sure to use those supplies for this school year.
If you have any other tips on how you go green right before the school year, give us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We wish everyone a great (and green) start to the school year! Tag @gradesofgreen.org with your tips!