Welcome Eco-Leaders to your Guidebook
Congratulations on taking a huge step towards solving the climate crisis! We can’t wait to join you in our second annual RISE Climate Solutions Campaign! During the campaign, you or your team will work closely with a Grades of Green Advisor to develop and implement an environmental solution to an issue contributing to the climate crisis within your community. It may sound unbelievable that your project will help solve the climate crisis, but we’re here to tell you that you can make a BIG difference!
The most exciting part about the Climate Solution Campaign, other than ensuring a greener world? You have the chance to win up to $1,000 in Eco-Grants! Be sure to read all the information below to learn what it takes to win. Feel free to contact your advisor if you have any questions.
What’s the Guidebook?
This website! It’s filled with helpful info & it’s where you’ll answer questions to tell us all about your project!
The Campaign Path: Your Step-by-Step Guide
An adult volunteer who serves as a contact for a student team such as a teacher or parent.
Grades of Green Advisor
A Grades of Green staff member who provides expert and specialized advice to your team on planning and executing your project. They’re here to help you win!
When you see this icon, you’ve come to a place where it’s a good idea to check in with your Advisor. If you’re stuck, you can always click it to get your Advisor’s contact info.
Getting to Know You and Your Team
Let’s get started!
Once your team is set or you have decided to work on your own, the following two forms must be completed before you can start changing your community for the greener!
- Each student member of the team will need to have a parent or guardian complete the Consent & Permission Form to participate in Grades of Green’s Climate Campaign.
- Each team must complete the “About Our Team” Form as a team (only one submission per team)! Your Team Facilitator can help you complete this form.
How it Works and What You’ll Do
It’s simple! You’ll go through the webpages of the Guidebook to learn about the climate crisis and how to take action. As you progress, the Guidebook will help you plan out your project. Your Advisor will help you along the way as you put your plan into action! The Guidebook will ask you questions about what you learned and about how your project is going. Remember: this is a contest! By participating and filling out those questions, you’ll earn points. At the end of the campaign, our judges will use your answers and your points to determine who wins our Eco-Grants!
The Phases and Their Check Lists
The campaign is broken out into four Phases and each has a Check List to keep you on track. Below, we’ve organized each Phase’s Check List so you can click and see what to expect. The tasks with a ✅ are required and will earn points. The optional tasks will make your project better and can earn you bonus points, so make sure to complete as many as possible!
No need to worry if you get stuck or need help – your advisor is here for you every step of the way! Just look for the Advisor Icon and click for contact info. Take one step at a time, complete the tasks within each Phase, contact your Advisor and then your team can move on to the next phase with a new task list.
- ✅ Each team member’s parent or guardian fills out the Consent & Permission Form.
- Team Planning
- ✅ Submit About Our Team Form – one submission per team.
- Meet with Advisor and set your campaign meetings and timeline.
- ✅ Attend “Welcome Webinar” on October 2nd or watch a video recording. Live attendance is encouraged.
- Watch “Climate Change 101 with Bill Nye” Video
- Watch “What is Environmental Justice?” Video
Phase 1 – Learn
- Watch the Climate Crisis Recap video (Earn a Bonus Point)
- ✅ Watch the Climate Solutions Shark Tank Topic video.
- ✅ Explore the Deep Dive on one or more topics.
- Energy, Transportation, Food, Waste, and Trees
- ✅ Decide which topic to focus on for your project. Complete the “Phase 1.1 – Climate Solutions Topic” questions.
- ✅ Choose your team’s solution and project. Complete the “Phase 1.2 – Solution and Project” questions.
- ✅ Pick a campaign type for your project. Complete the “Phase 1.3 – Campaign Types” questions.
- ✅ Reach out to an expert to learn how your topic and project impact your community. Complete the “Phase 1.4 – Reach Out to an Expert” questions.
- ✅ Write an effective goal statement to guide your project. Complete the “Phase 1.5 – Effective Goal Statement” questions.
- Check in with your Advisor.
Phase 2 – Create a Plan
- ✅ Pick your target audiences. Complete the “Phase 2.1 – Target Audience” questions.
- ✅ Develop Key Messages for your Campaign. Complete “Phase 2.2 – Key Messages” questions.
- ✅ Determine important parts of your Campaign. Complete the “Phase 2.3 – Communication Platforms & Strategies” questions.
- ✅ Finalize your task list. Complete the “Phase 2.4 – Task List” questions.
- Check in with Advisor.
Phase 3 – Take Action
- ✅ Participate in Mid-Campaign webinar.
- ✅ Implement your task list including your communication strategies.
- ✅ Document your work.
- ✅ Write your press release. Complete the “Phase 3.2 – Press Release” questions.
- Check-in with Advisor.
Phase 4 – Share Your Success
- ✅ Measure and report your audience members reached.
- ✅ Submit a project summary and all materials you have created for your outreach.
- ✅ Complete and submit the “Phase 4.1 – Share Your Success” questions.
- Check in with Advisor.
✅ Each team member fills out a mandatory Post-Campaign Survey. Complete the “Wrap Up Phase – Survey” questions.
Before you get started on the Climate Solutions Campaign, watch our 2021-2022 Welcome Webinar down below!
Before starting Phase 1, please ensure that every student’s parent or guardian fills out the Consent & Permission Form. Once you’ve formed a team, also make sure that your team submits one About Our Team Form.
NEXT STEP: Begin Phase 1.1 – Picking Your Topic
Click Here: Move on to Phase 1.1 – Picking Your Topic
Looking for Another Page? Head over to the Campaign’s Table of Contents.