Welcome Eco-Leaders to your Guidebook
Congratulations on taking a huge step towards solving the climate crisis! We can’t wait to join you in our NEW Climate Solutions Campaign! During the campaign, you or your team will work closely with a Grades of Green Advisor to develop and implement an environmental solution to an issue contributing to the climate crisis within your community. It may sound unbelievable that your project will help solve the climate crisis, but we’re here to tell you that you can make a BIG difference!
The most exciting part about the Climate Solution Campaign, other than ensuring a greener world? You have the chance to win up to $1,000 in Eco-Grants! Be sure to read all the information below to learn what it takes to win. Feel free to contact your advisor if you have any questions.
What’s the Guidebook?
This website! It’s filled with helpful info & it’s where you’ll answer questions to tell us all about your project!
The Campaign Path: Your Step-by-Step Guide
An adult volunteer who serves as a contact for a student team such as a teacher or parent.
Grades of Green Advisor
A Grades of Green staff member who provides expert and specialized advice to your team on planning and executing your project. They’re here to help you win!
When you see this icon, you’ve come to a place where it’s a good idea to check in with your Advisor. If you’re stuck, you can always click it to get your Advisor’s contact info.
Getting to Know You and Your Team
Let’s get started!
Once your team is set or you have decided to work on your own, the following two forms must be completed before you can start changing your community for the greener!
- Each student member of the team will need to have a parent or guardian complete the Consent & Permission Form to participate in Grades of Green’s Climate Campaign.
- Each team must complete the “About Our Team” Form as a team (only one submission per team)! Your Team Facilitator can help you complete this form.
How it Works and What You’ll Do
It’s simple! You’ll go through the webpages of the Guidebook to learn about the climate crisis and how to take action. As you progress, the Guidebook will help you plan out your project. Your Advisor will help you along the way as you put your plan into action! The Guidebook will ask you questions about what you learned and about how your project is going. Remember: this is a contest! By participating and filling out those questions, you’ll earn points. At the end of the campaign, our judges will use your answers and your points to determine who wins our Eco-Grants!
The Phases and Their Task Lists
The campaign is broken out into five Phases and each has a Task List to make the campaign manageable. Below, we’ve copied each Phase’s Task List, so you can click each Phase to see what to expect. The tasks with a ✅ are required and will earn points. The optional tasks will make your project better and can earn you bonus points, so make sure to complete as many as possible!
No need to worry if you get stuck or need help – your advisor is here for you every step of the way! Just look for the Advisor Icon and click for contact info. Take one step at a time, complete the tasks in a Phase, contact your Advisor and then your team can move onto the next phase with a new task list.
Get Ready | 3 weeks & 10 points
- ✅ Each team member’s parent or guardian fills out the Consent & Permission Form.
- Team Planning
- ✅ Submit About Our Team Form – one submission per team.
- Meet with Advisor and set your campaign meetings and timeline.
- ✅ Attend “Welcome Webinar” on October 3rd or watch a video recording. Live attendance is encouraged.
Phase 1 – Learn | 5 weeks & 15 points
- Watch the Climate Crisis Recap video (Earn a Bonus Point)
- ✅ Watch the Climate Solutions Shark Tank Topic video.
- ✅ Explore the Deep Dive on one or more topics.
- Energy, Transportation, Food, Waste, and Trees
- ✅ Decide which topic to focus on for your project. Complete the “Phase 1.1 – Climate Solutions Topic” questions.
- ✅ Create your team’s vision statement. Complete the “Phase 1.2 – Vision Statement” questions.
- Get Bonus Points for being creative with your Vision Statement!
- Check in with your Advisor.
Phase 2 – Pick Your Project | 3 weeks & 15 points
- ✅ Pick a solution and review project ideas. Complete the “Phase 2.1 – Solution and Project Review” questions.
- ✅ Learn about campaign types. Complete the “Phase 2.2 – Campaign Types” questions.
- ✅ Reach out to a relevant climate science teacher/expert/organization. Complete the “Phase 2.3 – Reach out to an Expert” questions.
- Learn about your Project Map to keep you on course.
- ✅ Pick your team’s project and campaign type. Complete the “Phase 2.4 – Solution, Project and Campaign Types” questions.
- Check in with Advisor.
Phase 3 – Create a Plan | 9 weeks total & 30 points
- ✅ Pick your target audiences. Complete “Phase 3.1 – Pick Your Target Audiences” questions.
- ✅ Meet with your Advisor to develop processes for setting effective goals. Complete “Phase 3.2 – Facts and Goal Setting Processes” questions.
- ✅ Set your effective greenhouse gas goals. Complete the “Phase 3.3 – Greenhouse Gas Goals” questions.
- ✅ Develop your key messages. Complete the “Phase 3.4 – Key Messaging” questions.
- ✅ Learn about campaign strategies and advocacy goals. Complete the “Phase 3.5 – Campaign Strategies and Advocacy Goals” questions.
- ✅ Finalize your task list. Complete the “Phase 3.6 – Task List” questions
- Check in with Advisor .
Phase 4 – Take Action | 8 weeks & 15 points
- ✅ Participate in Mid-program/New Year webinar.
- ✅ Implement task list and communications strategy.
- ✅ Document your work. Complete the “4.1 – Document Your Project” questions
- Check-in with Advisor.
Phase 5 – Share Your Success | 3 weeks & 15 points
- ✅ Calculate, compile, finalize, and submit all impacts to Advisor. Complete “5.1 – Measure Your Impact” questions.
- ✅ Submit a project synopsis and all outreach materials. Complete the “Phase 5.2 – Synopsis, Outreach and Eco-Grant” questions.
- Get Bonus Points for creatively sharing your impact!
- Check in with Advisor.
Wrap-Up Phase | 2 weeks & bonus points
✅ Each team member fills out mandatory Post-Survey.
✅ Showcase your Team’s project at the Impactathon, a virtual or in-person expo.
NEXT STEP: Join our Welcome Webinar
Ready to get started? We are excited to see you at the Welcome Webinar on Saturday, October 3rd, at 10:00 am PST! Each team member must complete the form below to RSVP to attend the Welcome Webinar live or to watch a recording.
In the meantime, please ensure that every student’s parent or guardian fills out the Consent & Permission Form. Once you’ve formed a team, also make sure that your team submits one About Our Team Form.
Check back soon to get the link to Phase 1!